Falling Behind

So this term started off pretty well.

For the first few weeks, I had a routine going – I got up an hour before my 9am classes (a huge change from waking up 20 minutes before), made myself a healthy lunch, actually managed to get some breakfast down and was up to date with deadlines. I had enough time to see friends and go on a fun night out and I also saved some time at the end of the day to read a little just before bed. Boy, was life going great.

Honestly, I don’t really know what happened after the third week.

I remember missing a couple of lectures because “I’m going to end up using Panopto anyways, so what’s the point of going?” was my motto. A few lectures ended up turning into a few days worth of lectures and then a week’s worth. I think it was at that point that I realised I needed to do something about it – but did I?

Nope.

When I hit the two week mark, I started panicking. I had coursework due for a subject but I was so behind on it, I could barely make it past the first part of the first question. I spent the final days leading up to the submission date in the library, rapidly trying to make sense of the lectures, pre-lecture reading and coursework questions. I made it to the second part of the first question the day before the deadline. That night, I sat down at 9pm with a friend of mine who was also in the same boat. Together, we stayed up a whopping 17 hours and I finally handed in my coursework two hours before the cut off. Did this experience motivate me to get on top of things, you ask? Well, slightly.

I went through reading week trying my best to catch up but still ending up being behind. I skipped lectures the week after because I figured I was too far gone by that point. I just wouldn’t be able to keep up. I was stuck in this toxic cycle of skiving in order to catch up, being more behind and then skiving some more.

So where am I now?

I’m currently still very behind but, on the positive side, I’m ready to get everything back under control. I’ve come home for the weekend to get away from uni for a bit and I can feel myself coming back together. Maybe I’ll only be a week’s worth of lectures behind after this.

Here’s hoping!