New Year… New Me?

Looking back and Looking forward

So Long 2018

Covering Open Day on Instagram

As 2018 draws to a close I have been reminiscing about some of the amazing opportunities I have been given this year, as well as some incredible projects I’ve been a part of and of course all the fun with my friends in between! Coming into this calendar year I would never have imagined that I’d currently be as involved

with life at Imperial as I have been. I’ve been fortunate enough to feature as part of the Her Imperial Campaign, go on holiday with my best friends that I met living at Beit Hall last year, moved into my first flat and got to take over the Imperial College Instagram account more times than I can count! Given all of these things and more I can say without question, that it has been one of the best years of my life and I can’t wait to see what 2019 has to offer!

The Her Imperial Campaign

Hello 2019

For me the weirdest thought about 2019 is that, in February, I will be halfway through my degree and time at Imperial. It seems to have gone by so quick. Finishing first year and now thinking about the career path I might like to pursue, has crept upon me. I guess time really does fly when you’re having fun, yet there’s still so much I’d like to do and accomplish in my time at Imperial and I hope 2019 is the year to do these things.

Between applying for internships, considering my career prospects and completing the year on my various committees, I have also been left thinking about what extra curricular activities I’d like to be a part of in my final year as elections for committee positions will be starting in March. However another big part of this year will be facing the tougher academic requirements with exams counting 4 times more than in first year. This leaves 2019 set to be an incredibly busy year!

Venice with my friends

New Year’s Resolutions

As per usual, I will start this year off attempting to follow a few simple rules that might try to improve my life, both academically and personally.

1. Sleep more – I have noticed that the amount I sleep has been slowly decreasing. When I joined Imperial, I was easily sleeping 8 hours a night, however as the terms have gone by this has slowly gone down to maximum of 6 hours a night, often less during the week. In order to address this, I’m going to start working earlier in the morning that way I can go to sleep sooner, and not get stuck in the rut of sleeping late and trying to wake up early, and thus being incredibly unproductive.

Highlight of 2018
  2. Degree >> MathSoc – Being on MathSoc committee has been absolutely amazing, although it has taken up a great deal of my time. I occasionally (okay I do this a lot :/ ) do any MathSoc work, like making posters, planning events and calling up venues, before I do my academic work, meaning my problem sheets gets done later in the evenings. In 2019 I’m going to try to get my degree work done first and then enjoy working on MathSoc events at leisure afterwards.
  3. Reviewing notes more – Although the maths department gives us weekly tests in most modules, coming into the Christmas holidays, I have found that I have been more unprepared than expected. During term time, I tend to make flashcards with all the proofs, definitions and examples before each test. When reviewing these this week, I realised I had left quite a few gaps which had to be filled. In the coming year I hope improve this process by dedicating more time to reviewing notes and making flashcards during the term time, so it doesn’t pile up to the holidays.

I hope to keep you updated on the (lack of) progress of these resolutions and see if there are any positive outcomes in 2019!

So all thats left for me to say is have a Happy New Year! All the best for 2019!!