How to roast an imperial steak

A good, moist steak is one of the purest pleasures in my lifes. Today I will be advising you based on my years of experiementation, in my preferred methods of Steak preparation, so that you can also participate in this pleasure.

Preparation

Of course, the first thing you have to do is arrange for a piece of meat. Here you can find various cuts from different supermarkets in all price ranges. But there is also something for small budgets. Tesco has excellent test objects for 3.24, not too thin, not too expensive. When buying meat, however, be sure to pay attention to the grain: the finer the small fatty veins are that run through the meat, the better!

According to various food scientists there are two important factors: warm meat and frequent turning. It’s important that the steak is at room temperature before you throw it into the pan. You can easily ensure this by taking the stake out of the fridge before you start cooking the more time-consuming side dish (e.g. potatoes). Optionally, if the steak is thin enough, you can rinse it briefly under warm water. Afterwards, however, do not forget to dry the steak off, as otherwise disgusting aromas can develop during roasting.

To salt or not to salt, that is now the question. In fact, there is only the answer of experience here, because I don’t want to start the discussion about osmosis. I’ve had the best experience salting the steak before roasting. This creates a slightly salty crust, which I really like. Furthermore, I’ve personally never had my steak dry out from salting before.

Cooking

You definitely need a stopwatch, butter ghee and a hot pan. Rule of thumb for roasting time per side: 45-60 seconds. Rule of thumb for the total roasting time: 45 sec per centimetre of steak thickness. I roast the Tesco steaks on the highest heat with a professional pan ~ 3:30 minutes, medium rare. Of course, the cooking feeling also plays a role here. Caution: do not prick into the steak with a fork. Turn it carefully, preferably with a spatula.

Will the steak go on the plate afterwards? Not yet! Just a little more patience, it will be worth it.

Postprocessing

From the pan into a large piece of aluminium foil, wrap it up, cover it with a kitchen towel and leave it to stand for 10 minutes. During this time, remove any crusts from the pan.  If necessary, chop some garlic and thaw the rosemary from the freezer if you do not have it fresh.

After the 10 minutes are up, turn up the hot plate again to full power. This time take butter instead of butter ghee (better taste) and slap the dripping steak onto the pan together with the rosemary and the chopped garlic. 30 seconds per side, really only a briefly sear! Done!

That’s how you fry an imperial steak. My favourite side dish is rosemary potatoes or black rice.

Have fun trying it out.