The best email of the year…

Hmm how to start…

So, summer is here… Yes, London, 23ºC. Thank you, global warming.

And exams are over…

No more problem sheets, no more past papers, no more revision.

No more “do you think he will put absorption columns in it?”

No more “how many past papers have you done?”

No more “aaand pencils down!”

No more “what did you get for question 4?”

No more “ohh God I deserve it I just had a thermo exam” oreo milkshakes.

But the most important thing is of course the result. Our last exam was on the 6th June, but we had to wait until the 5th July – the Board of Examiners meeting – to find out the results. We got an email beforehand that we can expect a “Pass / Fail / Resit” email after 5pm on Tuesday. Ahh well…

At 16:05 I got a notification on my laptop. A small box in the top right corner just appeared suddenly. Subject: Results 2015/16.

OH MY GOD!!!

I took a deep breath and clicked on it.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 16.06.56

Then screenshoted it, and sent it to all my friends.

I still can’t believe it. I did it. I passed the first year of MEng Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London. Oh my God.

4 comments for “The best email of the year…

1. Deniz says:

Dear Dora,

I am a student from Germany and I am going to start my ChemEng course this October at Imperial. Hence, I am pretty excited. I read your posts which helped me to deal with my excitement. In this context, thank you for writing the blog entries!

I have a question concerning the first year of the ChemEng course: How does your weekly timetable look like? Could you please send me a sample timetable if this is ok for you?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
    Deniz

1. Dora says:

Dear Deniz,

Thank you for your comment, I am happy to hear that you’ll be an Imperial student! 🙂

With regards to my weekly timetable: I think these two posts will help, there is screenshot of my timetable in one of them, the other is a pretty detailed description of how my weeks actually look like. I hope I could help 🙂

http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/studentblogs/dora15/2015/12/17/a-subjective-description-about-subjects/
      http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/studentblogs/dora15/2016/03/14/just-an-average-week-in-imperial/

2. Deniz says:

Dear Dora,

Thank you very much for your answer!

I have another question:

Does the timetable (http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/studentblogs/dora15/files/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-14-at-18.16.34.png) include everything including coursework/projects, work in the laboratory, .. or only the lectures and seminars?
    In other words: How many hours does a 1st-year ChemEng student spend at the College per week?

Best regards,
    Deniz

1. Dora says:

Dear Deniz,

Well, the timetable does include all our “timetabled” stuff, like labs, tutorials, projects, lectures. Obviously it doesn’t include independent studying 😀 So basically we have about 15-20 lectures and 3-4 tutorials per week (on the screenshoted timetable, every afternoon one is a tutorial), and then the rest of it depends on what time of the year it is. In the autumn term, we had the Design Project (timetabled, 2 weeks, every afternoon, 3hrs/day) and the Matlab (timetabled, 3 weeks, every afternoon, 3hrs/day). In the spring term, we had the labs (timetabled, 7 * 3hr normal sessions + 3 * 3hr rig building, spread over the whole term). The screenshot was made when we didn’t have any of these, so just imagine it there 😀 Also, when I say “every afternoon” I obviously mean four per week, as the Wednesday afternoons are kept free for everyone in the College for the societies ‘n stuff.

So overall I would say, on a sunny spring week, an average 1st year ChemEng student spends 18hrs on lectures, 3hrs on tutorials, 3hrs in the labs. And then another 2-3hrs/day independent study, 1hr/day lab report, 1hr/day worrying about the Spring test, all of which can be done either at the College or at home 🙂

I hope this answers your question, if not, feel free to ask more, it’s fun answering to these kind of things 😀 😀 😀