Cumberland Lodge, based in Windsor Great Park, is an educational charity that seeks to tackle social divisions by promoting creative thinking and inclusive dialogue. I work with Dr Rachel Smillie on the Education Team, and together we organise and manage the Lodge’s events and scholarships aimed at both students and early career researchers.
Cumberland Colloquia –
The Cumberland Colloquia gives early career researchers and postgraduates the opportunity to design and run a 24 hour interdisciplinary conference (spread over two days) with the support of the Cumberland Lodge team. Since we established the scheme in 2012, the subjects discussed have been incredibly varied, yet consistently seek to address topical issues facing society. Our two most recent colloquia titles are listed below:
- The Politics of (Post) Truth, October 2018
- Social Cohesion in Times of Uncertainty, September 2017
We particularly welcome applications which relate to social cohesion. The successful applicants can expect to host their event in March 2020.
For more information, and to download an application form, please visit cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/colloquia
Cumberland Lodge Scholarships 2019 –
Our two-year scholarships are designed to fit around, and enhance scholar’s doctoral studies. They provide a unique opportunity to develop communications, public engagement and interdisciplinary skills. The Scholarships also offers:
- A unique opportunity to network with senior figures in public life, including: leading academics, politicians, civil servants, chief executives, faith leaders, journalists and frontline activists
- Mentoring in intellectual leadership
- Training in communications and public engagement
- Opportunities to take part in interdisciplinary discussions and debates on pressing social and ethical issues
Applications to become a 2019-21 Scholar will open on Friday 1st March 2019.
For full details and to apply online, please visit cumberlandlodge.ac.uk/our-scholarships.