Featured Shoot – Medical Biosciences ICTEM

New course, new lab: Medical Biosciences

A fresh new set of images from the new course BSc Medical Biosciences in a new teaching lab underneath the ICTEM building on the Hammersmith Campus.
Image © Thomas Angus / Imperial College London  [Click Image to expand]

In this medium length engagement shot, I’ve used a very shallow depth of field to bring attention to the middle students look of concentration.
This was a very enjoyable shoot. The new space is fantastic, bright and well equipped, which makes my job of representing it far easier. Things were made easier still by the enthusiasm with which everyone was going about their studies under the careful guidance of the jolly Dr Ana P. Costa-Pereira.

Teaching fellow Jeni giving guidance.

A slightly larger depth of field for this one. As there are fewer distractions in the image, I can afford to have more things in focus to show off more equipment.

A nice expression. I’m actually positioned half on the worktop, squished between two experiments (and desperately trying not to bump either) while squashed under the small gap of a few inches between the two partitions to get the shot with a wide angle lens. It must of been quite a sight.

A detail shot for context.

A shot of Dr Ana P. Costa-Pereira at work. I’ve used quite a long lens here to control the depth of field. This has allowed me to knock enough of the whiteboard and foreground elements out of focus, but leave enough to see the interesting work on the board and the equipment in the middle ground without them being distracting. If I had opted instead to be closer but using a wider lens, I would have had to use a much shallower depth of field, which would have made the student that Ana is talking to distorted at the edge of the lens. In addition, I wouldn’t have had the bonus of the very near ground objects creating the interesting blur in the bottom corners, which adds more depth to the composition.

A wide establishing shot. Every shoot needs one of these and it’s generally the first thing you should make sure is in the bag. Personally, I like to start wide on a job while people get used to me and then work my way inwards.

View all the images from this set

Imperial staff and students can view all the original images featured in the post, along with others from this set on the Imperial College London Asset Library.

Learn more about photography

Learn more about how to get started in photography in this introductory course on Lynda.com. College users can access Lynda courses for free.