End of Exams = End of Prohibition

Apologies for my lack of posts these last few weeks. For most of the Christmas period, I was far too busy with endless hours of tearful revision, pulling my own hair out and generally losing the will to live. Not painting the prettiest picture of MSc life here, but the picture shows nothing but the truth. Some of it can be attributed to the fact that I am the perfect face of lastminute.com, but really, the reading list is EXTENSIVE, at best. Admittedly, I expected nothing less, for it is a one-year degree programme at one of the top ten universities in the world, and it is student nature to moan.

Revision Life (Note: This excludes e-books. Mmhmm)

One of the lessons I learnt from this round of exams, however, is to make notes on the readings as we go along in the term, including all case studies (because they can form the basis of direct questions in exams). However, managing your time between coursework, class preparation and exam preparation while still making a futile attempt at social life, and providing oneself with sustenance can be pretty overwhelming (on that last note, Lidl do some cheap and cheerful instant noodles for 18p – but do add a dash of Nando’s sauce and chopped up veg so you feel a little less like a homeless person). In any case, everyone goes through it together so there’s another hundred and something course-mates you can vent to, something I highly recommend. It helps, somehow. Share the pain.

The End of Prohibition
The End of Prohibition

The light at the end of the tunnel, thankfully, wasn’t a train, but our End of Exams Winter Gala organised by our lovely Social Reps. It was themed around the 1920s, an ‘End of Prohibition’ of sorts, which is quite fitting considering most of us hadn’t seen the light of day or sight of a bar in what seemed like time immemorial. The gentlemen looked rather gentlemanly indeed in their bow ties and shiny shoes, whereas the ladies went all out in flapper dresses and feathers and headbands and tassels and pearls and all that jazz. The venue was the LVPO Bar just off of Leicester Square, and despite the snow and deathly temperatures, the night was a massive success. Steam was blown off in style. Well, apart from a couple of people who slid right across the floor on their behinds due to attempting some complex dance move (delightful for all witnesses) and I did chuck my heels away come 1 am.

The new term has begun with Digital Marketing and Pricing (just when you thought you’d never need a scientific calculator again…) and the cohorts and syndicate groups have been mixed up so it’s a fresh start working with a new team and things have worked out pretty well so far! More on the coursework in my next post, as I’m currently experiencing the joy of a cough, cold and fever (triple whammy, woop woop ) so I’ve justified my need to stay in bed all evening having an Entourage marathon, wallowing in self-pity.

Ahhh Vincent Chase…they just don’t make them like you anymore.