Pushing The Boundaries – Life Sciences beyond the sea

When I was finishing my PhD in London it was natural to expect that the next phase of my career would take me abroad. That might be showing up my age now, but back then I had no hesitation in writing to PIs in Berkeley, Boulder, Harvard and Yale in the U.S. I was lucky enough to be accepted and having won an EMBO fellowship, for the next five years I lived in Connecticut and worked at Yale. Living and working in a different culture was a fantastic experience and fortunately, our undergraduates have a much easier path to this opportunity than I did back then.

Biochemists and Biologists can study and work in a University Abroad through various study programmes – the Biochemistry with Research Abroad degree, Biochemistry with a Language for Science, Biology with a Year in Europe and Biology with a Language for Science. These degrees all share the principle of a third year spent studying and / or doing research in a University in Europe rather than South Kensington. Is it worth it? I hope to show through the experiences shared via this blog that it is.

Meanwhile here’s a Map of Europe.

View Research Abroad Placement Destinations in a larger map

Each of these destinations is the possible home for a year for our undergraduates. Imperial spreads itself across the continent!