Dr Sally Makady, Industry Partnership Executive (Digital Transformation), Enterprise

“In my role as Programme Manager, I explore engagement with multiple governments in Asia and the Middle East whose populations are worst-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.” 

I’m a Life Sciences industry generalist with experience in creating new partnerships across industry as well as with emerging fields in technology and healthcare, such as digital health. I studied pharmacy as an undergraduate and neuroscience as a postgraduate student. 

I joined Imperial last January as an Industry Partnerships Executive in the Enterprise division, focusing on digital transformation. Shortly after, we headed into lockdown and Imperial, together with Professor Robin Shattock, co-founded the social enterprise VacEquity Global Health Ltd. to globally deliver the COVID-19 vaccine developed in his lab. My line managers kindly accepted my request to support VacEquity Global Health Ltd. in achieving its mission and as a result, I was seconded to Enterprise. 

Safely, effectively and innovatively developing a vaccine at breakneck speed as a socially driven, university biotech start-up simultaneously breaks new ground for research, technology, higher education, pharma, public health, international development and diplomacy. We are building a bridge into the unknown during a pandemic and cautiously walking on it. 

In my role as Programme Manager, I explore engagement with multiple governments in Asia and the Middle East whose populations are worst-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result of great teamworkImperial agreed a vaccine research and education collaboration with Indonesia. I am excited about progressing our collaboration with the Ministry of Health – Republic of Indonesia across COVID-19 clinical trials, vaccine procurement and wider research and education initiatives.  

Recently I also moved to a new role in the Enterprise division at Imperial, where I facilitate novel partnerships between the Faculty of Medicine and Department of Life Sciences and external collaborators in the public and private sectors as a Consultant Engagement Manager.  

As a knowledge migrant and solo parent, the pandemic poses significant challenges to me on multiple levels. It is life-changing to experience the kindness, humility, respect and empathy Imperial leadership exercise in managing our transition in working ways, priorities and even roles as in my case through lockdown and beyond. It ultimately allows me to best realise the College’s vision in making a demonstrable economic and social impact through the translation of our work into practice worldwide.