Jack Elkes, Clinical Trials Statistician, School of Public Health

“I appreciate the flexibility, the work attitude and opportunities for development at Imperial. I am very proud to work for Imperial, a university at the forefront of research.”

Before joining Imperial, I worked as a biostatistician at IQVIA on a large scope of projects in various disease areas and trial phases. I have always enjoyed using an analytical approach to problem solving, which is why I studied for an MSc in Medical Statistics at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I have always been interested in healthcare, so before I became a statistician I undertook a BSc in Biomedical Sciences at Brighton University.

At Imperial I have two roles. Firstly, I work as a clinical trials statistician, working collaboratively with other researchers to set up, run and analyse novel interventions to evaluate their benefit in patient care. My day can include designing a new study, writing analysis plans and programming statistical analysis.

My other role is within the Research Design Service as a general advisor, which means I offer study design advice to researchers working up a grant application for the National Institute for Health Research. I enjoy this role as it is an opportunity to meet other people at Imperial outside of my department, and help them to convert a research idea into a clearly defined research question and study design.

In my job I love working with likeminded individuals, and the team I work with at Imperial are fantastic researchers who support and inspire me. I also appreciate the flexibility, the work attitude and opportunities for development at Imperial. I am very proud to work for Imperial, a university at the forefront of research.

Outside of work I do a lot of running. I ran the London Landmarks earlier this year and recently took part in the Run in the Dark 10km run. I also enjoy tinkering with technology – I am a big fan of the Raspberry Pi (not the food) and have enjoyed doing small projects such as a temperature controlled light strip and a smart mirror.