David Gordon, Mobile Supervisor, Security Services

“From providing security advice, to stopping bike thieves and giving CPR to save someone’s life on campus – I love the work I do.”

Before joining Imperial, I worked in the Home Office for 13 years in a variety of roles, the last being working on the Cutter Fleet – this involved boarding vessels out at sea and looking for drugs, firearms and other prohibited items.

I joined Imperial in 2015 as a Senior Security Officer. My current role as a Mobile Supervisor focuses on overseeing security operations at all Imperial’s campuses, and I share responsibility for 114 members of staff. I am fortunate that I get to work across all campuses, and enjoy meeting and engaging with all our stakeholders.

Working for Imperial is completely different to working for the Government. The support and encouragement I have received from all levels, from directors through to my line manager, is something I have never experienced before. I feel like a valued member of the team, and the training we receive in security is of the highest standard. As a team, we are always looking for ways to improve the service we provide.

I enjoy working in Security Services as no two days are ever the same. From providing security advice, protecting our campuses during patrols, to stopping a bike thief or most recently, giving CPR and saving someone’s life on campus, I love the work I do.

It was a big step to leave what I knew in the Home Office, but there isn’t a day that goes by that I regret leaving my previous role to join Imperial, and I’m thankful for the opportunities that working here has offered me.

Discover more from Imperial people

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading