Professor Tony Constantinides, Senior Research Investigator, Electrical and Electronic Engineering

I’ve been actively involved with research in various aspects of digital signal processing, digital image processing, digital filter design, and communications for more than 50 years. 

I founded and previously led the Communications and Signal Processing Division of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. My recent work, meanwhile has been directed toward the demanding problems arising in financial signal processing and I currently lead the Financial Signal Processing Lab in the department.

Outside of my scientific work, I’m actively involved in archaeological studies, and have held an Honorary Chair of Archaeology at the Institute of Archaeology, UCL. I’ve published on symbols that appear on prehistoric pithoi (large storage containers) at the Akrotiri excavations in Santorini. Current interests are directed towards the interpretation of some special symbols in Linear B (a syllabic script that was used for writing Mycenaean Greek), the analysis of the Lahun papyri of the Petrie Museum of Egyptology, London and some image processing and optimisation for the reconstruction of Akrotiri wall paintings from their imprecise, incomplete and eroded fragments.