Black History Month – celebrating IGHI people

Ovuefe and Davina

For Black History Month, we’re highlighting some of our talented and inspirational IGHI staff members. We’re proud of our staff who help our Institute thrive with its cutting-edge research.

Meet Ovuefe and Davina, who are passionate about working in health and their roles at our Institute. We caught up with them to learn a little bit more about what made them choose this sector, their careers, and what they hope to achieve here at IGHI.

Mr Ovuefe Efeotor
Clinical Research Fellow

Why did you choose to work in the health sector?
It was my family who encouraged me to enter healthcare. They helped me to see it as a profession that allows you to make a real difference in people’s lives every day.

What’s been your biggest achievement in your career?
My biggest achievement so far is being awarded a research grant by the Focused Ultrasound Foundation to allow me to conduct my research on exploring the feasibility of using High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) as a new treatment for locally advanced pelvic tumours. This demonstrated the potential of the project I am working on and their belief in it.

Who inspires you?
My parents are my biggest inspiration, showing me that anything can be achieved with hard work, dedication and belief in yourself. They showed me that no obstacle is insurmountable in life with the right people beside you.

What do you think are some of the biggest barriers to entering academia?
Having the patience to find the right project with the right team in the best environment that will allow you to flourish, and having someone you can trust to help you navigate that process.

What do you hope to achieve in your area of work?
To show that patients with incurable diseases such as advanced rectal cancer can still benefit from research, and we can make a positive impact in their life.

Davina Tijani

Davina Tijani
Research Support Analyst, Big Data and Analytical Unit (BDAU)

I chose to work in the health sector because the impact of healthcare research is vast and contributes to a wider society in various ways, such as patient safety and improved clinical practice. The influence and the wide breadth of work associated with health care from research to technology was also another draw to the sector.

My biggest achievement is the influence I have had in widening the openness of the BDAU to more researchers. I have established myself as a trusted supporter of researchers across IGHI and beyond. Working to build trust and support which has translated into researchers feeling supported by the BDAU which is invaluable to us a unit.

Who inspires you?
My father is my biggest inspiration because he has been a strong guiding force in my life. Throughout my whole life he has always prompted me towards success in all aspects from education to career moves.

The biggest barrier to entering academia is the opportunity to advance and to gain the necessary skill set and experience to succeed in the sector.

I hope to achieve a growing knowledge of healthcare and its many uses and applications. I also hope to explore more opportunities to expand my skill set further in data analytics.