Following six months of closure the St Mary’s Campus Library reopened on Monday 15 April as the Fleming Library. An official opening ceremony, hosted by Vice Dean and Director of Education in the Faculty of Medicine, Professor Jenny Higham, took place on Tuesday 14 May.
The Faculty of Medicine will be piloting a project issuing iPads to students in years 5 and 6 of the MBBS course at the beginning of the 2013/14 academic term.
The main learning and teaching activities planned to be delivered on iPads are:
- All the course learning materials will be accessed via Blackboard Learn.
- Students on placements will be able to readily and easily access learning materials and their own notes, and be able to add reflections, etc.
- Some sign-off forms (DOPS) will be available electronically on the iPads allowing clinical teachers to assess students and submit the DOPS to the Faculty Education Office electronically, keeping a record on the students’ iPads.
- Students will be able to participate during lectures using virtual clickers hosted on their iPads.
- Students will access interactive iBooks in the area of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
- Students will be able to receive updates from different sites directly on their iPads providing a direct communication channel with clinical sites.
The iPad pilot launch event took place on 15 May 2013 .