2017 Autumn Term: P61 Infinite Groups
- John Meier, Groups, Graphs and Trees
- Joseph J. Rotman, Introduction to the Theory of Groups
The topic for the Mastery question is Ends of Groups. The set reading is Sections 11.4, 11.5, 11.6 of Groups, Graphs and Trees by John Meier. (This is available electronically from the College Library.
Some notes from the Autumn 2012 P10 Group Theory course . (The content varied slightly in other years that I taught it.)
- Notes 1: Prerequisites; quotient groups and isomorphism theorems.
- Notes 2: Group actions; Sylow's Theorems.
- Notes 3: Semidirect products; composition series and soluble groups.
- Notes 4: Commutators and the derived series; central series.
- Notes 5: Nilpotent groups; -transitive and primitive groups.