John Britnell's Homepage
Department of Mathematics
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
I organize the LAC when it meets at Imperial College. For Autumn 2016 it will be at
City University, organised by Markus Linkelmann.
My Research Interests
Group theory; representation theory; combinatorics
- Finite and infinite permutation groups
- Finite classical groups
- Generation of finite groups
- Coverings of groups by proper subgroups or classes of subgroups
- Generating graphs and commuting graphs of groups
- Cycle indices and generating function methods in finite groups
- Commuting probability and conjugacy probability in finite groups
- Representations of symmetric groups
Some current and recent projects
(This list is not comprehensive.)
- With Mark Wildon: analogues of Bell numbers which arise in the combinatorics and representation theory of Coxeter groups of types B and D
- With Ben Fairbairn and Attila Maróti: calculating the minimal sizes of subgroup coverings of finite classical groups.
- With Nick Gill: which finite almost quasisimple groups have a perfect comuting graph?
- With Neil Saunders and Tony Skyner: classifying groups of order which have a quotient with larger minimal permutation degree.
PDF] on derangements of acting on
-sets which Mark Wildon and I computed several years ago
using MAGMA. [Each entry gives the proportion of derangements in the group in
its action on -sets. The highlighted entries indicate failure of
monotonicity along the rows, which we were investigating at the time.]
The computations have been written up here.
Some mathematical people:
Some mathematical places:
Cambridge Pure Maths,
Oxford Maths Institute,
Pembroke College Cambridge,
St Anne's College Oxford,
London Mathematical Society,