A Fresher’s Guide to Medical School Interviews

Has it really been almost a year since I had my medical school interviews?

To get me through the preparation process, I recall going through endless online resources (TSR is great!) reading through interview tips, experiences, etc. So I thought it would be exciting to add to the wealth of online material and offer a post with some advice and a bit of an insider’s view to what my interviews were like!

I attended three interviews last January/February- two of which were panel (Imperial and Queen Mary/Barts), and one MMI (Newcastle). This is where I sheepishly admit that I personally found the Barts one most enjoyable (promise I’m not a traitor); whereas the Newcastle one was half a disaster- MMI was not my friend!

So here’s some general stuff which you will hopefully find helpful:

• Why medicine?
    This question genuinely used to freak me out but there’s no escaping it. Composing an answer for this was quite an arduous process, but try not to overthink it. Be honest, mention a couple different aspects of medicine that are appealing to you and then elaborate. Chances are that you will be asked this wherever you interview, and honestly it eventually became my favourite question! It just felt very safe as I practically had the answer recited.
  • Why our uni?
    Be able to tell them why you want to go to their medical school; this was also something I was asked everywhere. The university websites are a great resource! I found it helpful to speak about the general course structure at the university; the variety of patients they get at their teaching hospitals; student satisfaction and support offered; clubs and societies; the city itself, etc. They may even phrase it in terms of what you have to offer to the university- this is where I mentioned being involved in student life and different societies I was interested in joining. It may be a shout to speak about things that seem to be unique to that university. For instance, if you’re interested in research – definitely bring that up for an Imperial interview!

• Know your stuff
    From recent medical news to the GMC guidelines; overview of what the NHS is and how it works; basic knowledge of some common medical conditions; and the four principles of medical ethics. I had the BBC news app on my phone- would recommend. It was an easy way to keep up to date with any medical advancements- what I then did was find one or two really interested me, then read further around the topic. May be a good idea to find one biological and one ethical piece for variety. The GMC website has a great guidance on professionalism and the duties of a doctor- Good Medical Practice.
  • Know your personal statement
    It is often you will find that questions the interviewers ask will stem from your personal statement. If you mentioned volunteering/work experience- be prepared to elaborate and reflect further! Especially if you mentioned a specific branch of medicine or a topic that interested you- read up quite a bit around it too beforehand.
  • Smile and be enthusiastic
    May sound a bit dumb but honestly, smiling gives off the impression that you’re not absolutely petrified. Fake it ’til you make it! Just be friendly and engaging- they want to find people who genuinely care about others and the profession itself. Medicine’s a long journey- can’t have students who seem fed up/uninterested before they’ve begun.

• How suited are you?
    Adding to the last bit, interviewers are looking for people who have the qualities they deem will make a good doctor. These include being able to work well in a group (Hello? Multidisciplinary teamwork- learn what this term means, and use it!); yet possess leadership skills. To have problem-solving abilities; yet with that, knowing when to ask for help. Additionally, the ability to deal with stress and to prioritise. Try and think of examples of when you’ve displayed each of these, I promise it’ll come in handy! Don’t just tell the story, though- reflect! Great thing with examples is that you may be able to use some of them interchangeably for different questions if applicable.
  • Mock interviews?
    Okay- I’ll admit it, I never personally did any. Instead, I opted to practise answering questions out loud and had bullet pointed prompt words written out under each topic/question to help me out. Flashcard app on your phone might be a shout! However, more practice is always good and you may very well benefit from a mock interview so by all means!
  • The interviewers
    I can promise they’re there to help you and they want you to do well! At Imperial, the interviewers tend to be incredibly pleasant but this may not always be the case. I’ve heard of instances where some interviewers were being quite tough- allegedly to see how you cope under pressure. Fingers crossed you get super encouraging ones like I did! Regardless, they’ll surely try to guide you if you’re really stuck with a question so do let your thought process be heard! Also, never hesitate to ask them to repeat/explain/rephrase if you didn’t catch it or don’t understand.

• Books?
    For general preparation, I used this interview practice book and I would highly recommend it but make sure not to let it stress you out too much! There’s so much content on there! For medical ethics, I read a short book Medical Ethics: A Very Short Introduction– super interesting read! Additionally, The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande was one that I read in my spare time. I suppose novels written by healthcare practioners about their line of work acts as a nice insight and may be a possible point of discussion.

Interesting fact: I did my entire Imperial interview with chewing gum in my mouth. I would not recommend. Story behind- the student rep came out and asked if I was ready to start ten minutes early. Having forgotten that I was chewing gum, I panicked and nodded. No rubbish bins on my way to the interview room and so I had to be as discrete as possible with it. Good times. Also, whilst I’m at it, might as well also mention- during another one of my interviews, the fire alarm went off and everyone had to evacuate the building. As if the interview itself wasn’t nerve wracking enough.

I feel that it’s important to note that everyone will have a different experience- even when at the same place! So don’t be deterred from hearing a not-so-uplifting experience (such as what I mentioned above). If the interview does end up feeling like it went horribly (again, as aforementioned)- don’t lose hope as it often goes better than you think like it did for mine! And in all fairness, I enjoyed one of my interviews so much that I was genuinely disappointed when it came to an end!

So good luck if you’re waiting for an interview invitation, and congratulations if you’ve already secured one(/some)! Do your best and give it your all!
Please feel free to leave any questions in the comments and I’ll do my best to respond ASAP.

Sending love and festive wishes for the new year!
Alex (:

9 comments for “A Fresher’s Guide to Medical School Interviews

1. Anonymous says:

Heyy, thanks so much for such an informative article. I’m having an imperial interview next month and I am panicking, though I’m not applying for med but these tips are super useful and made me less stressed out. Thanks a lot Alexa and hope you do well in the future!

1. Alexandra Ip Dos Santos says:

Awh, I’m so glad this helped! Wishing you the best of luck- I believe in you! Plus thank you for the kind words 🙂

2. Mohammad says:

I have my imperial interview on the 7th of this month and I am scared as hell. I really liked this article and was very informative and will definitely read it again. If you do get stuck on a question do they move on or do you try and help you. Did they ask you questions about the course and do you need to know it inside out?
    I am excited and scared at the same time as Imperial is my #1 choice plus the interview is on my birthday 😀 extra pressure on

1. Alexandra Ip Dos Santos says:

Hey there!
      Glad you found the post helpful! Yep, I was absolutely petrified too- I truly feel you. From my experience, they definitely tend to try help you out, and this was with all the interviews I’ve done.
      I never properly looked into the course content and I don’t recall any specific questions on it so definitely don’t worry about knowing it inside out. I sort of just briefly looked at the course structure overview and how lessons are delivered (i.e. mix of lectures, tutorials, PBL, etc.)
      Best of luck and happy, happy birthday in advance!
      Hope to see you around next year 😀

1. Mohammad says:

Thank you and hope to see you too once I make it 😀

3. As the finish of September nears, the medicinal school will be immersed with another bunch of first year therapeutic understudies which is dependably an appreciated sight. Progressing to college life from school can be a perplexing procedure with sudden tribulations en route.

4. Fatima says:

Hey, Alexandra Ip Dos Santos, your blog page was a really interesting one, I loved the way you opened yourself and I am sure that you successfully achieved to help many (as seen in the comments). I am not yet going to uni, in fact, I am in Yr. 11 and I thought it would be nice to check out some interesting careers to make up my mind in the future, and hopefully not regret it. I am a bit concerned about my grades as I did achieve a 9/8 in science however just a 6 in maths and a 7/6 in English, by the end of Yr.10.
    I would love to know more about your prior experience, from Gcse times to A-levels, just to get a full overview of the medical path. Thank you so much for your time.

1. Alexandra says:

Hi Fatima,
      Many thanks for the kind words!
      Definitely a good time to start considering all the options and pathways ahead of you.
      Your year 10 results sound really good to me, honestly! For the last couple years, Imperial hasn’t looked at GCSE grades as part of entry requirement for Medicine.
      If you were asking about how I did in GCSE/A-Level- I sat 8 IGCSEs (6A*s and 2As); 4 A Levels: Bio, Chem, Physics (AAA) and Maths (B). I technically just missed by offer, A*AA, but I was offered a place anyway.
      I think the best advice I have is to apply according to your strengths. So for instance, my AS Level results weren’t so great so I applied to unis that didn’t take this into account; furthermore, my UKCAT (admissions test) results were quite good so I applied to unis that took this largely into account.
      Hope this answered your question- but if not, please do leave me another comment and I’ll get back to you! 🙂

1. Fatima says:

Thank you so much for replying, it means a lot to me.
        Yes, it was absolutely helpful, I have one more question, and this is about open days. I am been searching for Imperial College open days but I’ve found none, only for next summer, and I would like to attend one now that I am in Yr.11, therefore I would like to ask you if you know how open days work in your uni and give me an overall advice about what to do in that day.
        Again thank you so much for replying, I know how much you uni students are busy.
        Yours sincerely,
        Fatima Moudni