1) Friends– I finally have some.
2) Family– My family hasn’t really changed to be fair, but the amount of time I see them has increased a lot. Before university I would sit in my room, alone. Most of the time in the dark. Now I see them about once a week. Result!
3) Food– Oh gosh food is amazing. I have really fallen in love with big meals. My cooking “buddy” makes me eat a lot of vegetables which is a nice change from the lunchtime £1.43 chips at the union. Some of the meals I have had have been full of imagination and creativity with favourites including burgers on waffles with nutella. Who needs a cookbook?
4) Organisation– Who knew how much fun sorting my files out could be. I also have taken up the hobby of highlighting…everything.
5) What I wear– The day I walked to Sainsbury’s in my dressing gown was the day I realised how extreme things had become.
6) TV– I have really not been watching a lot of television anymore. Before university I would wake up and watch BBC News or CNN for half an hour, but these days I listen to Radio 4 daily to catch my news updates. Watching an episode of neighbours every day has stopped too, but it hasn’t stopped my mum from calling me to tell me what has happened!
7) Fears– I have conquered quite a few fears here. Most notably my claustrophobia has disappeared since I have been squashed numerous times into the lifts at Gloucester Road Station.
8) Fancy dress– I came to university with quite a large collection of fancy dress supplies, but it has increased since I arrived. Some items have been tragically lost and others stretched by guys eagerly trying on ballerina outfits. I can’t wait to see how the collection continues to grow.
9) Hobbies– My hobbies have changed a bit since school, which is really exciting for me. Last week I had my first visit to the paediatric ward with Imperial’s Play Team to play with a child who was poorly. It was so lovely and my partner and I stayed for as long as we could playing with the child and her parents. The intense games of Uno and balloon fights made my day really special and I hope the child enjoyed it as much as I did.
10) Sleeping– Bedtime is all the time.
I underestimated how much would really be changing when I started University. Some changes have been exciting and others have been quite terrifying. My priorities have changed since coming to university and a lot has changed about me and my environment. But one thing that hasn’t changed is my focus. I am really enjoying my course and new life, but also have gone through quite a bit of change which really does take time and effort to adjust to. If you surround yourself with people that care about you though things really are easier. I am really energised by the thought of what is to come, and the new chapter in my life.
P.S. Is it too early to be excited for Christmas? Probably.