Time to say goodbye to Cape Town

So my time here is almost over and I will leave Cape Town tomorrow. I really can’t quite believe it. I have been here for 9 weeks now and it really feels like yesterday that I arrived (pardon the cliché)!

It will be sad not to see this iconic mountain every day!

I will keep this blog short as I don’t want to bore people anymore, but as I am sure you can tell I have had a fantastic time in this amazing country that is full of such diversity everywhere you look. I would recommend a visit to this city to anyone, there is so much to do in the city as well as in the surrounding areas.

I have spent a lot of time in the city but also went for a 3 day safari near to Port Elizabeth at Shamwari Game Reserve, saw whales and great white sharks in Hermanus and went on a UCT geology field trip as well as another weekend trip to the West Coast.

The 50 page project is now finished and my research project at UCT is over! I have learnt a huge amount and found it very interesting. The work will now be continued by a couple of fourth year Chemical Engineering students as part of their Masters project for this year and there is also significant scope for much more work in this area of research. I would be very interested to know some of the results of further studies so I hope to keep in touch with the department in the future.

In addition to thanking everyone at Rio Tinto and Imperial College who made this internship possible, I would also like to thank all those at the Chemical Engineering Department at UCT for making me feel so welcome. Before Zoe and Alice left, a couple of weeks ago, we all went out for lunch at Rhodes Memorial above the campus, which was very enjoyable. (The photo below shows everyone who I have been working with in the Minerals to Metals Research Group).

My part of the Minerals to Metals Research group (I am on the far left!)

I am sure none of them will get the chance to read this, but they have been incredibly accommodating and made the work enjoyable as well as ensuring that I have had an amazing experience, so thank you!

Anyway, my brief exposure to the world of blogging is over for now. I hope you have all enjoyed them – I have had 3690 views in total, which I am very surprised about!

Thank you for reading, cheers for the last time…

Harry