Alongside clinical training, Dr Sugand is currently pursuing a PhD in surgical trauma simulation and educational technology under the supervision of Mr Gupte & Prof Cobb. He is currently conducting research with a multi-disciplinary team within the following multimedia modalities to train safer surgeons and to ultimately enhance patient safety:
Holograms have the power to visually communicate with greater immersive impact than other presentation modalities so that patients may be able to understand the disease process and management options more effectively. Holography may be used as a means of patient engagement, improving compliance to management and be part of ‘pre-habilitation’ phase of enhanced recovery programmes.
A study was conducted on whether holography enhanced the learning experience for medical students and junior doctors by visually communicating abstract concepts in orthopaedic surgery. A cross over trial was performed between 2D static Powerpoint presentations and 3D dynamic holographic presentations. Both objective (formal testing) and subjective metrics were collected before and after the differing presentations. The HALO HYBRID study looks into tailor-making Powerpoint presentations in the form of holograms to observe any changes in impact on the learning experience. More research is being done to verify whether holography has the potential to be recognised as the new gold-standard.
This is such a ground breaking and innovative project that it has created quite a bit of media buzz:
- BBC UK (www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22860678)
- BBC Brazil (http://www.bbc.co.uk/portuguese/noticias/2013/06/130619_hologramas_aulas_medicos_fn.shtml)
- Portuguese Expresso national newspaper (http://expresso.sapo.pt/portugues-cria-super-hologramas-para-revolucionar-ensino-da-medicina=f815296)
- Australian News Limited outlets (http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/holographs-used-for-london-medical-school-teaching-tool/story-fn5fsgyc-1226666411660)
- Spanish La Razon news (http://www.larazon.es/detalle_normal/noticias/2726387/sociedad+tecnologia/inventan-hologramas-en-3d-para-facilitar-el-es#.UcuMD_lpCuI)
- YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pljG4ynfIz0)