Dr Aleisha Miller, Clinical Project Manager, Department of Infectious Disease

“My job can range from dealing with a temperature change in a pharmacy fridge, to simply offering a listening ear to my team during challenging times.”

Celebrating our community for Black History Month

I started my career as a scientific researcher in reproductive immunology, obtaining degrees from The Royal Veterinary College, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and Liverpool University.

Looking back, I feel like I stumbled into the world of clinical trials by accident when I applied and successfully got the position as a study monitor at Queen Mary University of London. I started my career at Imperial in 2013, where I was appointed as a Trial Manager at the Imperial Clinical Trials Unit overseeing their HIV portfolio, which was fairly new at the time. You could say that I worked my way up to my current role as a Clinical Project Manager at Imperial.

My job can be really challenging at times, and the learning curve is very steep if you don’t manage your time effectively. You need to have good knowledge in most areas of clinical trials – this can range from dealing with a temperature deviation of the pharmacy fridge, to ordering laptops for a site to use, or simply offering a listening ear for members of your team during challenging times.

I manage a number of clinical teams across several sites, so I really work hard to be as open and productive as I can with my time when communicating with them. My days can be long and extremely busy, especially if I’m travelling between clinical sites, but I wouldn’t change what I do now for anything.

I am the person I am today because of past experiences that have been both rewarding and challenging. I’m at a point in my career where I really enjoy what I do. I thrive on the diverse queries I have to process or delegate to members of my team on a daily basis. No two days are ever the same.