Mattias Björnmalm, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellow, Materials

After completing a BSc and MSc at Lund University and KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden, I did my PhD research at the University of Melbourne in Australia.

I am currently a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow at Imperial, where I lead the EU-funded research project qBionano.org. In our research, we explore the biological interactions of nanoengineered materials. Nanomaterials are widely expected to help usher in the future of medicine. For example by helping us detect and diagnose disease earlier, and by enabling new types of treatments. However, what works well under well-controlled conditions in the lab doesn’t always work so well when exposed to real-life, biological and medical environments. So, trying to understand how ‘bio’ and ‘nano’ works together—bio-nano interactions—is the main focus of our research.

This project is the first research project I’ve led independently as a Research Fellow, and learning how to handle the different aspects of a modern research environment has been challenging (for example, lots of administration and paperwork!).