What’s it like to study our Masters in Patient Safety?

Audience

Patient safety has become an important topic at all levels of the health system.

That’s why we launched our MSc in Patient Safety. The course was designed specifically to help policy makers and healthcare professionals deliver safer care and health systems. Since launching our unique Masters programme in 2016, we’ve had many graduates go on to successfully apply their learning in their careers, championing patient safety in their everyday work.

We spoke to three Patient Safety students, Joshua Symons, William Gage and Jeni Mwebaze to find out what made them choose the course, what they learnt and how they hope it will help them in their profession.

Find out more about applying for our Masters in Patient Safety here. Applications close on 31 August 2019.

Joshua SymonsJoshua Symons
Associate Director of Data Optimisation, NHS Digital

What’s your educational and professional background?

I’m a self-taught IT expert, specifically in Unix administration and engineering. Having worked previously in the finance sector, I moved to the healthcare sector in 2011 under an honorary research fellowship at the invite of Lord Ara Darzi.

Why did you choose to study the MSc in Patient Safety?

I wanted the opportunity to receive an in-depth education about the potential for error in the healthcare system, how that error can be prevented, and how safer systems can be designed to ensure that patients receive the highest level of care.

What have you enjoyed most about the course?

Working across patient safety with exposure to health policy has enabled me to get a full view of how errors transcend local systems, potentially stemming from national and even global policy. I’ve also learnt how policy-makers and patient safety experts can work together to create better systems at all levels.

What do you hope to do after you graduate?

I’ve already had a great opportunity since taking the course. I recently joined NHS Digital as Associate Director of Data Optimisation which will allow me to apply my learning and ensure that timely, and high-quality data is used to improve healthcare systems.

William GageWilliam Gage
Improvement Programme Manager – Safety, Medical Director’s Office, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust

I’m a Registered Nurse (Adult).  My clinical background is in orthopaedics, trauma and plastics, but I have held a range of operational and research posts in the NHS and academic partners. I currently work in the medical director’s office at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, heading up our safety improvement work.

The course curriculum covered all the main aspects of patient safety which is important for me in my current role.  Undertaking the Masters at Imperial College London also offered me the chance to study at a world-class institution.  I was lucky enough to have received support with course fees from Imperial College Health Partners and the Trust as my employer.

I have really enjoyed all aspects of the course.  I have found the breadth of subjects covered stimulating, and the calibre of lecturers impressive.  What I have enjoyed the most is the opportunity to take my thinking and understanding of patient safety to a new level.

I want to consolidate my learning in my current role.

Jeni MwebazeJeni Deborah Mwebaze
Head of Quality Assurance at Central & Northwest London NHS Trust

My first degree was a Bachelor’s in Social Sciences. My major subject was social administration and I minored in economics.

I started working for the NHS nearly 19 years ago. I later joined a governance department of an acute hospital and started working in quality and safety. Over the years, I worked for a variety of NHS organisations including trusts providing community and mental health services. After progressing to the position of Head of Quality Assurance, I decided to apply to Imperial College London to study IGHI’s MSc in Patient Safety. Being passionate about quality and patient safety, I was keen to do a Master’s degree that was relevant to this area work.

The course offered much more than I expected. Before I started, I believed I had hands-on experience in quality and safety. I expected the course to be theoretical in nature. To my surprise, it was much more than that!

Every module enabled me to step out of my role and critically think about different ways of doing things. Each module also provided practical skills to apply in my day-to-day work. Some modules left me questioning if we do enough to promote patient safety, and to support both staff and patients involved in serious incidents. While others allowed me to appreciate the positive impact small improvements make and the unhelpful environments that can make people prone to errors. The course has left me even more determined to do the best I can to support the provision of good quality and safe care for patients and service users.

I hope to continue working for the NHS, promoting quality and safety and supporting quality improvement initiatives (small or big) in whatever way I can.