The UKBA has announced that, with effect from 29 February 2012, all applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) applying to stay in the UK for more than 6 months will have to register their biometric information (fingerprints and digital facial image). Successful applicants will be issued a Biometric Residence Permit as evidence of their immigration status and entitlements in the UK.
The following guidance may also be helpful:
- UKBA information sheet about the rollout
- How to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit
- Where to enrol biometric information
- How to book an appointment
- How to check Biometric Residence Permits
From 31 May 2012, a new automated online checking service will be launched which will allow quick and easy checks on permits, the holder’s identity and their right to work.