The Faculty of Medicine will be piloting a project issuing iPads to students in years 5 and 6 of the MBBS course at the beginning of the 2013/14 academic term.
The main learning and teaching activities planned to be delivered on iPads are:
- All the course learning materials will be accessed via Blackboard Learn.
- Students on placements will be able to readily and easily access learning materials and their own notes, and be able to add reflections, etc.
- Some sign-off forms (DOPS) will be available electronically on the iPads allowing clinical teachers to assess students and submit the DOPS to the Faculty Education Office electronically, keeping a record on the students’ iPads.
- Students will be able to participate during lectures using virtual clickers hosted on their iPads.
- Students will access interactive iBooks in the area of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
- Students will be able to receive updates from different sites directly on their iPads providing a direct communication channel with clinical sites.
The iPad pilot launch event took place on 15 May 2013 .