UCCF: Initial Impressions

UCCF: The Christian Unions is a charity which has a relatively straightforward aim, giving every student in Great Britain an opportunity to hear about who Jesus is, and the message that he shared. The main way that they do that is by working with Christian Unions in Universities around the country; groups of students who share this aim and work on their campuses to try and make it happen.

IMG_20160713_182024624
‘Uncover’, the book my project is based on. If you’re interested, see more at Uncover.org.uk

UCCF does lots of different things to try and support these groups as they work on University campuses, from employing staff to work with them, to providing training conferences, and publishing resources for the Christian Unions to use on their campus. That’s where my project comes in, I am being the project manager for a new resource that is going to be published in October.

This new resource is part of an ongoing project called Uncover which is a booklet with an account of Jesus’ life along with some discussion questions. These have been published for a few years, but the project I’m managing is to take what already exists, and to change the English phrases and questions used in the book so that it’s more accessible for a wider range of people, particularly thinking international students studying in the UK.

Starting off the week, I didn’t really know what to expect. I knew that this project is what I was going to be doing, but lacking any experience of project management or work in an office, I was a bit apprehensive to what I would actually be doing. Fortunately though, the staff at the office were well prepared for me as to helping me settle in well and get to grips with what I needed to be doing. I spent a good chunk of my first three days in various induction meetings, getting to know how the office works, and also the people I would be managing.

My head was pretty swimming with information over those three days, but I’ve mostly digested it now, beginning to figure out exactly what this project is going to look like by organising a timeline with all the people involved. It’s looking like the next few weeks are going to be busy, but I’m enjoying it so far, and really looking forward to spending the rest of my time with UCCF.

IMG_20160712_172425373
Lunchtime table tennis anyone?

Opinions expressed in this blog post are my own, and do not necessarily represent that of UCCF: The Christian Unions or of Imperial college London