The feasibility study examining the proposed redevelopment of Level 0 of the Sherfield Building was completed in mid-February. The Portfolio Review Board (PRB) reviewed the findings at a meeting on 24 February, alongside feedback received from staff and students across Imperial and a paper submitted by the Holland Club. At this meeting, the PRB agreed:
- to change the space to offer a broader range of social and catering amenities for members of the Imperial community;
- to fund the next stage of design work once the requirements for the space have been agreed by the Management Board.
Following that meeting, the Rector asked the Deputy Rector:
- to form a task group to guide plans for the use of the space (as detailed below) which will make recommendations to the Management Board by the end of April;
- to initiate a tendering process, inviting bids from groups within the College to run any catering and/or pub facilities included in the space, following agreement by the Management Board over the use of the space.
The Deputy Rector is in the process of appointing a task group to guide plans for the use of Level 0 of the Sherfield Building. The task group will review the feedback received from staff and students across the College during the feasibility study and make recommendations to the Management Board on the following points:
- what catering, pub, social and other facilities should be included in the redeveloped space on Level 0 of the Sherfield Building;
- who should have access to use these facilities;
- the opening hours of any catering, pub and social facilities.
Membership of the task group will be as follows:
- the Senior Dean (an elected member of academic staff) – Chair;
- a member of the Holland Club Committee (a member of non-academic staff);
- the President of the Imperial College Union.
Dr Lynda White, Senior Lecturer in Experimental Design, has accepted appointment as College Tutor with effect from 1 January 2012. She joins the team of existing College Tutors – Margaret Cunningham, Mick Jones and Simon Archer. College Tutors advise on student welfare matters, reporting to the Dean of Students, Learning and Teaching.
Dr White joined Imperial as a PhD student in 1969 and was appointed as Lecturer in Statistics in the Department of Mathematics in 1971. Subsequent promotions followed, and she held the positions of Mathematics Admissions Tutor from 1980 to 1987 and Senior Tutor from 1995 to 2011.
Professor Dorothy Griffiths OBE FCGI FRSA, Deputy Principal of the Business School, has accepted appointment as Acting Principal with effect from 18 February 2012, following the retirement of Professor David Begg. The search for a successor to Professor Begg, who has served as Principal of the Business School since 2003, is underway. Professor Griffiths will lead the Business School until the new Principal takes up appointment.
The College Research Office works closely with Imperial Innovations Ltd to facilitate the commercialisation of intellectual property generated by staff and students.
Staff are invited to assist the Research Office with an evaluation of the service Imperial Innovations provides to the College community by completing a short survey.
The College may share headline results of the survey with Imperial Innovations. All results will be presented on an anonymous basis, and used solely for the purpose of evaluating staff and students’ satisfaction of Imperial Innovations’ services. It is optional for respondents to provide contact details.
To complete the survey, visit: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/imperialinnovations
Any queries should be directed to Emma Toumi (email@example.com).