Staff are invited to attend the College’s annual Education Day on Wednesday 30 November 2011, which has been organised by the Strategic Education Committee and the Educational Development Unit. The programme focuses on the wider role of teaching and education in preparing students for life after university and will conclude with the presentation of the 2011 College Awards for Excellence in Teaching, Supporting the Student Experience, Pastoral Care and Research Supervision.
New software is available for all ICT managed Windows PCs to make computers go into ‘Sleep’ mode more reliably after a user-defined period of inactivity. The ‘Sleep’ button, which has been on the desktops of all College PCs since September 2010, can still be used to put computers to sleep, but, if users forget, the ‘Auto-sleep’ functionality will kick in.
To activate the ‘Auto-sleep’ functionality:
- Restart your computer for the software to be automatically installed
- Double click on the ‘Auto-sleep’ (zzz) icon that appears on your task bar (bottom right-hand corner of the screen)
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Tick the “Put this machine to sleep” option
- Set the length of time after which your computer will go to sleep when idle and click OK to start saving power
For further details, visit: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/ict/green/autosleep